Potato Kugel casserole is a scrumptious comfort-food that can be made for any weeknight dinner. Serve with a light side salad or steamed vegetables to round-out this hearty dish, but kugel can also be served on its own because it makes a complete meal. Want to add extra protein? Fry up some eggs and top your casserole with them for an extra punch of protein.
- 1 large or 2 small yellow onions
- 3 pounds Russet or Idaho potatoes, peeled (about 5 large)
- 1/3 cup potato starch*
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 large eggs
- 5 tablespoons peanut oil, schmaltz, or your choice.
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 90mins
Adapted from smittenkitchen.com
Heat oven to 350°F.
With a food processor, blend onions with a regular blade until finely ground. Switch to grating blade and grated potatoes so that they are in longer strands.
Place onions and potatoes in a large bowl. Sprinkle salt, pepper, and starch evenly over potatoes and toss together with two forks or with your very clean hands, evenly coating strands. Break eggs right on top and again use forks or your fingers to work them into the strands, evenly coating the entire mixture.
Heat a 1/4 cup oil or fat in a 10-inch cast-iron skillet over high heat until very hot. Pour potato-egg mixture into pan carefully and spread evenly in pan. I like to twist and tousle the top strands a little for a pretty final texture on top. Drizzle with last tablespoon of oil. Bake in heated oven for 75 to 80 minutes, until browned on top and tender in the middle. If top browns too quickly, before center is baked, cover with foil for all but the last 2 minutes of baking time.
Serve in squares, either right from the skillet or un-molded onto a platter. Kugel reheats exceptionally well in a warm oven. It keeps in the fridge for up to 4 days, and for up to 2 months in the freezer. I like to defrost it in the fridge before rewarming it in an oven.
You can also use a casserole baking dish. Put oil in your casserole dish and place in preheated oven for 5 minutes to heat the oil
You'll also love
- Cranberry & Port Eton Mess 5/5 (3 Votes)
- RISSOTTO - Roasted Corn and... 5/5 (3 Votes)
- Cool Ranch Kale Dip 5/5 (3 Votes)
- Pumpkinseed, Date & Tahini Bars 5/5 (3 Votes)
- Chicken Liver Pâté 5/5 (3 Votes)
- Roasted Sweet Potatoes with... 5/5 (3 Votes)
- Oven Roasted Potatoes 4.4/5 (48 Votes)
- 2-Ingredient Strawberry Cake 5/5 (3 Votes)