Lentil (Not Beef) Stew
My Vegan Alternative to Beef Stew, all the flavor but healthy for you.
- 1 Cup Lentils, (always sort thru to make sure no tiny stones are mixed in with the lentils.)
- 5 Cups Water (add more water makes it into a soup)
- 2-4 Carrots, diced to about the size of a pea (about 1 Cup)
- 1-2 Stalks of Celery, diced to about the size of a pea (about 1 Cup)
- 1 Medium size Onion, diced (about 1 Cup)
- 2 heaping Teaspoons minced Garlic
- 2 Teaspoons crushed Rosemary
- 2 Teaspoons Oregano
- 1 Teaspoons Basil
- 2 Teaspoons Parsley
- 1 Teaspoon Thyme
- 1 Tablespoon Margarine (100% Veg. Oil)
- 3 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
- Salt & Pepper to taste
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 60mins
1) Make a Mirepoix: in a large pot over medium high heat add Margarine & EVOO, then Onions, Carrots & Celery. Sauté until onions are translucent.
2) Add Lentils and stir, letting them dry cook for about 5 minutes. This gives them a nutty flavor.
3) Add Water, Garlic & Herbs, Dash of Salt & Pepper now then more when finished to taste.
4) Reduce heat & Simmer for 30-45 minutes, until Lentils are soft, not crunchy.
5) Dish up in bowls & serve with Saltines or Toast.