Glazed Lemon Cake
Glazed Lemon Cake-Famous Fridays
Prep Time: 15-20 minutes, plus time for butter and eggs to reach room temperature
Bake Time: 1 hour and 5 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour and 45 minutes plus cooling time
- 2 sticks (1/2 pound) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 3 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk, well-shaken
- Zest from 2 medium lemons
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Lemon Glaze:
- 1 pound confectioners' sugar
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- Zest from 2-3 medium lemons (depending on how tart you want it to be)
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
Adapted from unwrittenrecipes.com
Preheat oven to 325ºF and spray a 10-tube pan with vegetable cooking spray.
2. Using electric mixer, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, scraping down the sides of the bowl and blending well after each addition.
3. Sift together flour, baking soda and salt. On low speed, add dry ingredients gradually to the batter, alternating with buttermilk in three additions, beginning and ending with dry ingredients. Stir in lemon zest and juice.
4. Pour batter into pan and smooth top. Bake in middle of oven for 1 hour and five minutes, or until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean and cake pulls away from sides of the pan.
5 Cool cake in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
6. Meanwhile, make the glaze. Cream sugar and butter together well. It takes a while and will look crumbly. Then add lemon juice and zest and mix thoroughly, till spreadable.
7. Remove cake from the pan, return to rack and place foil or a baking pan under rack, to catch the drips. Spread on glaze while cake is still hot. (I had a lot of glaze left over, next time I might spread it more thickly or 1/2 the glaze recipe).
8. Let cake cool completely. Keeps 4-5 days wrapped in plastic wrap.