Baked Reuben Casserole
- 5 to 6 slices of dry rye bread, divided
- 3/4 pound thinly sliced corned beef or pastrami (shaved)
- 1 cup rinsed and well-drained sauerkraut
- 3/4 cup dill pickles, chopped
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 4 cups Swiss cheese, shredded
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup prepared yellow mustard
- 1/4 cup Thousand Island salad dressing
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 60mins
Adapted from winnerdinners.com
Butter a deep (11x7x3-inch) baking dish. Preheat the oven to 350. Cut 3 to 4 pieces of the bread into cubes so that you have 2 cups of bread cubes. Line the bottom of the dish with the bread cubes. Cover with half of the corned beef.
Make additional layers in this order: sauerkraut, pickles, caraway seeds, 2 cups of cheese, the remaining beef, and the remaining cheese. With a whisk, beat together the eggs, milk, mustard and Thousand Island dressing until well mixed. Pour over the casserole.
Using a blender or food processor, make 1 cup of fresh bread crumbs with the remaining slices of bread. Sprinkle the bread crumbs over the top of the casserole. Bake at 350 for 40 minutes or until set in the center.