French Onion Beef Stroganoff
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 3 onions, French-cut
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig thyme
- 6 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1.5 lbs round steak, cut into chunks
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- All-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 1 1/2 cups beef broth
- 1/2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 cups egg noodles
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 1- 1 1/2 cups grated Gruyere or Swiss
- Parsley, to top
Preparation time 5mins
Cooking time 50mins
Adapted from hostthetoast.com
1. Melt the butter in a large, high-walled and heavy-bottomed pan over medium heat. Add the onions, garlic, bay leaf, sprig of thyme, and a sprinkle of salt and pepper and cook until the onions are soft and nearly caramelized, about 20 minutes. Add in the mushrooms (with a little more butter, if necessary), and saute until the mushrooms are soft and slightly browned and the onions have caramelized, about 5 more minutes. Discard the bay leaf and thyme and remove the onions and mushrooms to a bowl.
2. Heat a tablespoon of oil over medium-high, and sprinkle the steak with salt, pepper, and flour. Saute until browned, about 3 minutes. Remove the steak and set in the bowl with the mushrooms and onions.
3.Deglaze the pan with the red wine. Add in 1½ cups beef broth and ½ tablespoon Worcestershire sauce and bring to a low simmer. Add back in the steak, mushrooms, and onions and let simmer, covered, until the broth reduces slightly and the steak is cooked, about 8 minutes.
4. As you wait for the broth to reduce, cook the egg noodles according to the package. Drain and set aside.
5. Remove the beef mixture from the heat and add in the ⅔ cup of sour cream, stirring well. Mix in the cooked egg noodles.
6. Top with 1 to ½ cups grated Gruyere. If in a ovenproof pan, put under the broiler until cheese is melted and slightly browned. If not, leave the pan on the burner on medium-low, cover, and heat until cheese melts.
7.Top with torn parsley and serve.
You'll also love
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (871 Votes)
- Cracker Barrel Homemade Chicken &... 4.5/5 (805 Votes)
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake 4.5/5 (736 Votes)
- Sausage, Egg & Biscuit Casserole 4.5/5 (702 Votes)
- Crockpot Cheese Tortellini and... 4.5/5 (665 Votes)
- French Onion Soup 4.5/5 (154 Votes)
- Cheese & Onion Enchiladas with... 4.5/5 (101 Votes)
- French Onion Supper Soup 4.4/5 (105 Votes)