ROASTED GARLIC AND SHALLOT POTATO SOUP WITH CHEESE CROUTONS
Cooking Light/December 2007 – Best of the Holidays
- 5 whole garlic heads, unpeeled
- 3 1/2 tlbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 1/4 tsp salt, divided
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 10 shallots, unpeeled (about 3/4 lb)
- 2 cups coarsely chopped onion
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups cubed peeled baking potato (about 3/4 lb)
- 1 tsp chopped fresh thyme
- 1 cup milk
- 16 (1/2 inch thick) slices French bread baguette
- Cooking spray
- 3/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 2 tblsp grated fresh Parmesan cheese
Preheat oven to 400.
To prepare soup: remove white papery skins from garlic heads (do not peel or separate cloves); cut off tops, leaving root ends intact. Place garlic in a shallow roasting pan. Drizzle 1 tablespoon oil over garlic; sprinkle with ¼ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Cover with foil. Bake at 400 for 20 minutes. Add shallots to pan. Drizzle 1 tablespoon oil over shallots; sprinkle with ¼ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Cover and bake at 400 for 25 minutes or until garlic and shallots are tender and browned. Cool. Squeeze garlic to extract pulp; peel shallots. Discard skins. Set garlic pulp and shallots aside.
Heat remaining oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat; add onion to pan. Cover and cook 15 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Add garlic pulp, peeled shallots, and wine. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes.
Stir in broth, potato and thyme; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 20 minutes or until potato is tender. Cool slightly. Place half of potato mixture in a blender. Remove center piece of blender lid (to allow steam to escape); secure blender lid. Place a clean towel over opening in blender lid (to avoid splatters). Blend until smooth. Pour into a large bowl. Repeat procedure with the remaining potato mixture.
Return pureed mixture to pan; stir milk, remaining salt, and remaining pepper into pureed mixture. Cook over medium heat 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
Preheat oven to 400.
To prepare the croutons, place the bread slices in a single layer on a large baking sheet. Lightly coat tops of bread with cooking spray. Bake at 400 for 8 minutes or until lightly browned. Sprinkle cheeses evenly over bread slices. Bake 3 minutes or until cheese melts. Serve warm with soup.
You'll also love
- PUREED CARROTS 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Apple Cranberry Crumble Pie 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Pumpkin Pie In Bulk 0/5 (0 Votes)
- SWEET POTATO PIE 0/5 (0 Votes)
- OVEN-FRIED GARLIC PARMESAN GREEN... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- LEMON GARLIC PEPPER CHICKEN WINGS 0/5 (0 Votes)
- String Beans with Shallots 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Pan-Seared Ribeye Steaks with... 0/5 (0 Votes)