Grown Up Game Day Cheesy Beer Dip
- 1 cup ale or lager (or your choice beer; light and crisp will result in a lighter sauce, etc.)
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/2 cup pepper jack cheese (optional)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- tortilla chips, for serving
Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat and add in flour. Stir roux for 2-3 minutes, or until smooth and pasty and flour has had a chance to cook (but not burn).
Whisking continuously, gradually whisk in milk until smooth. Then pour in beer and stir until fully incorporated.
Raise heat to medium-high and let mixture simmer lightly. Stir in Worcestershire sauce and dry mustard and season with salt and pepper.
Continuing to stir, let cook for about 4 minutes, or until sauce thickens.
1/3 cup at a time, add in grated cheese and stir until (almost) fully melted. Then add another handful. Continue with remaining cheese.
Once mixture is smooth and thick, taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary.
Transfer to serving bowl and serve immediately with tortilla chips, crackers, or slices of toasted baguette.