Champagne Chicken Salad
Sunset / April 2011 - In the Western Kitchen
- 1 tsp kosher salt, plus more for water
- 24 young, slender carrots, tops trimmed to about 1/2 inch
- 2 lbs boned, skinned chicken breast halves
- 2 tblsp Champagne vinegar
- 5 tblsp roasted almond oil or extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tblsp minced chervil or dill, plus sprigs for garnish
- 3 1/2 qts loosely packed butter lettuce leaves
- 4 oz crumbled fresh goat cheese
- 1/4 cup sliced toasted almonds
Cooking time 60mins
Bring a large, wide pot of salted water to a boil. Add carrots and boil until crisp-tender, about 4 minutes. Transfer to a colander and rinse with cold water.
Add chicken; reduce heat to a simmer. Cook chicken, uncovered, 8 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, 10 minutes, or until cooked through. Transfer to a cutting board and let cool.
Whisk vinegar, 1 teaspoon salt, the oil, pepper, and minced chervil in a large bowl. Cut chicken into thick crosswise slices (against the grain), put in another bowl, and drizzle with half of dressing; turn to coat.
Toss lettuce and carrots with remaining dressing (add any dressing from chicken). Divide among plates; top with chicken, cheese, almonds, and chervil sprigs.