Seafood And Turkey-Sausage Gumbo
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 3 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 10 ounces low-fat Italian turkey sausages - (abt 3) casings removed
- 1 can diced tomatoes in juice - (28 oz)
- 1 cup canned low-salt chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons Creole or Cajun seasoning
- 8 uncooked large shrimp peeled, deveined
- 2 catfish fillets - (6 oz ea) each cut 4 pieces
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
Sprinkle flour over bottom of heavy large pot. Stir flour constantly over medium-low heat until flour turns golden brown (do not allow to burn), about 15 minutes. Pour browned flour into bowl.
Heat oil in same pot over medium heat. Add onion and bell pepper and sauté until tender, about 7 minutes. Add garlic, thyme and bay leaf; stir 1 minute. Add sausages and sauté until brown, breaking up with back of spoon, about 5 minutes, then add browned flour. Add tomatoes with juices, broth and Creole seasoning. Bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 20 minutes to blend flavors, stirring frequently.
Add shrimp and catfish to pot and simmer just until seafood is opaque in center, about 5 minutes. Discard bay leaf. Season with salt and pepper and serve.
This recipe yields 4 servings.
Per serving: calories, 317; total fat, 9 g; saturated fat, 2 g; cholesterol, 151 mg.