Endive Salad with Pears and Pumpkin Seeds
Pumpkin seeds give this fall salad from chef Dan Holzman of NYC's Meatball Shop toasted flavor and crunch.
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
- Kosher salt
- 3 Belgian endives (1 pound), cored and sliced 1 inch thick
- 1 head of frisée (8 ounces), core and dark green leaves discarded, white and light green leaves chopped into 2-inch pieces (8 cups)
- 1 large red d’Anjou pear, cored, quartered and thinly sliced
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced on the diagonal
Adapted from foodandwine.com
Make the vinaigrette In a medium bowl, combine the vinegar, lemon juice, mustard and honey. While whisking constantly, slowly drizzle in the oil until well emulsified. Season with salt.
Make the salad In a small skillet, heat the olive oil. Toast the pumpkin seeds over moderate heat, stirring, until golden, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel–lined plate to drain; season with salt.
In a large bowl, toss the endives, frisée, pear and scallions with half of the vinaigrette and season with salt. Transfer the salad to plates and top with the pumpkin seeds. Serve the remaining vinaigrette on the side.
The vinaigrette can be refrigerated overnight. The toasted pumpkin seeds can be stored in an airtight container overnight.?
Lively, ripe Oregon Pinot Gris.
You'll also love
- Hot on the Trail of a Wild... 4.5/5 (2 Votes)
- Chicken And Zucchini Casserole... 4.3/5 (4 Votes)
- Summer Corn Chowder 4.4/5 (10 Votes)
- Avocado & Papaya Salad 4.5/5 (2 Votes)
- Fresh Apple Cake 4.5/5 (2 Votes)
- Spinach-Stuffed Flounder with... 4.5/5 (2 Votes)
- Cranberry-Pear Clafoutis 4.5/5 (2 Votes)
- Pumpkin Maccheroncini 4.4/5 (10 Votes)