Cherry and Pistachio Rugelach
You can switch out the cherry preserves and dried cherries for another fruit that comes in both spread and dried form, such as apricot, currant or blueberry.
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup roasted, salted pistachios, finely ground
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 6 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 3 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 4 ounces 1/3 less fat cream cheese
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup cherry fruit spread divided
- 1/3 cup dried tart cherries, finely chopped and divided
- 2 Tbsp 2% reduced-fat milk
- 1 1/2 Tbsp turbinado sugar
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 85mins
1. Weigh or lightly spoon flours into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flours, ground pistachios, and salt in a bowl, stir with a whisk.
2. Place butter, sugar,cream cheese in large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well combined (5 minutes). Beat in vanilla. Add flour mixture; beat until just combined. Turn dough out onto work surface; divide in half. Shape each portion into a disk; wrap each in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
3. Preheat oven to 350* degrees.
4. Place 1 dough disk on lightly floured work surface. Roll dough into a 10 inch circle. Spread 1/4 cup fruit spread over dough. Sprinkle half of dried cherries over top. Cut circle into 10 wedges, as you would a pizza. Beginning with long side, roll up each wedge. Place rolls, point sides down, 2 inches apart on baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Repeat procedure with remaining dough disk, fruit spread and chopped cherries.
5. Brush dough with milk; sprinkle with turbinado sugar. Bake at 350* degrees for 22 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely.