Pumpkin Bars with Orange Glaze
This simple cake is bold with seasonal flavor largely from the spices; ginger, cinnamon, and mace.
- 1/2 cup (one stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin (or make your own pumpkin puree; click here)
- 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour (regular or gluten-free)
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum if making these gluten-free
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon mace
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup pecans, chopped
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons quality orange juice
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 45mins
Adapted from boulderlocavore.com
Preheat oven to 350˚F.
In the bowl of a standing mixer cream together butter and sugar. Add egg and pumpkin; beat to combine fully.
In a separate bowl, stir together flour, spices, baking soda (and xanthan gum if making gluten-free). Slowly add into butter-sugar-pumpkin mixture until combined. On low-speed blend raisins and pecans until fully combined.
Grease a 9 x 9 square baking pan. Pour batter into pan and smooth out to be even. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until lightly browned and a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
While the bars are baking prepare the Orange Glaze. Whisk together the powdered sugar and orange juice. When the ‘cake’ is out of the oven, paint the glaze on while still warm.
Allow ‘cake’ to cool. Cut into bars. Depending on portion size, makes about 16
1-inch thick bars…..that are delicious if I do say so.
You'll also love
- One Pot Mushroom Rice 4.3/5 (9 Votes)
- Pan Seared Filet of Sirloin with... 4.4/5 (11 Votes)
- SWEET POTATO HASH BROWNS 4.3/5 (9 Votes)
- Gluten Free Banana Walnut Muffins 4.3/5 (9 Votes)
- Jicama with Berries and Lime 4.3/5 (9 Votes)
- Country Green Beans 4.3/5 (9 Votes)
- *Garden Fresh Zucchini Cookies... 4.3/5 (9 Votes)
- Paleo Yummy Sweet Potato Gnocchi 4.3/5 (9 Votes)