Chai Cream Pie
- 1/2 package refrigerated pie dough
- 2 cups milk
- 8 cardamom pods, crushed
- 8 whole cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick, broken
- 1 (1/2-inch) piece peeled, fresh ginger, crushed
- 1 black tea bag
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 TBS cornstarch
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 TBS butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups whipped topping, thawed
- 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
Adapted from myrecipes.com
1. Roll dough into a 12" circle; fit into a 9-inch pie plate coated with cooking spray. Fold edges under and flute. Bake pie crust according to package directions. Cool completely on a wire rack.
2. Combine milk and the next four ingredients (through ginger) in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook until mixture reaches 180F or until tiny bubbles form around edge. Remove from heat. Add tea bag; cover and let stand for 15 minutes. Strain the mixture through a sieve over a bowl, and discard solids. Return milk mixture to pan and cook over medium-high heat until the milk reaches 180F or until tiny bubbles form around edge.
3. Combine sugar, cornstarch, salt, and eggs in a large bowl, stirring well. Gradually add the hot milk mixture to sugar mixture, stirring constantly with a whisk. Return milk mixture to pan, and cook over medium heat for ten minutes or until thick and bubbly, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; stir in butter.
4. Place pan in a large ice-filled bowl for ten minutes or until filling cools, stirring occasionally. Spoon mixture into crust; cover surface with plastic wrap. Chill three hours or until set. Remove plastic wrap. Top pie with whipped topping; garnish with ground cinnamon.
Makes 8 servings. Each serving = 7 Weight Watchers points.