- 50 50 50 g/2oz plain semisweet chocolate chopped into small pieces
- 115 115 115 g/4 oz/1 cup ground almonds
- 2 2 2 egg whites
- 200 200 200 g/7oz/1 cup caster (superfine) sugar
- 2.5 2.5 2.5 ml/1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1.5 1.5 1.5 ml/1/4 tsp almond extract
- Confectioners sugar for dusting
Adapted from google.com
1. Preheat the over to 300 degrees. Line two baking sheets with baking parchment.
2. Melt the chocolate in the top of a double boiler or in a heatproof bowl placed over a pan of barely simmering water.
3. in a clean, grease-free mixing bowl, whisk the eggs whites until they form soft peaks. Gently fold in the sugar, vanilla and almond extracts and ground almonds along with he cooled melted chocolate. The mixture should just hold its shape. If it is too soft, chill in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
4. Place mounded teaspoonfuls of the mixture spaced well apart on the prepared baking sheets and flatten slightly. Brush each ball with a little water and sift over a thin layer of confectioners sugar.
5. Bake the macaroons for 20-25 minutes until just firm. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.