Chili and Cornbread Waffles
Homemade cornbread waffles topped with chili with beans (homemade or canned) and shredded mild cheddar cheese and other toppings of choice such as sour cream, seeded and diced tomato, shredded lettuce, and taco sauce.
- Easy Chili with Beans
- I used the recipe on packet of McCormick Original Chili Seasoning Mix.
- (Other chili ingredients besides the seasoning packet include: 1 lb ground beef, canned tomatoes or tomato sauce, and canned kidney beans, pintos, or similar beans)
- Cornbread Waffles (makes 4-6 waffles)
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 jumbo egg
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup milk
For the Cornbread Waffles:
Preheat oven to 200 degrees F. Place a wire cooling rack in a jellyroll pan and place in the oven. (This is to keep the waffles warm until all are finished). Preheat waffle maker to desired color/doneness of waffles.
In a mixing bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, flour, baling powder, salt, and sugar. Add the egg, oil, and milk, whisking just enough to combine.
Cook waffles to desired color per manufacturer's instructions. Transfer waffles to warm oven until all are finished.
Top waffles with hot chili and shredded mild cheddar and any other desired toppings such as sour cream, shredded lettuce, diced tomato, taco sauce. Serve immediately.