BRAZILLAN BLACK BEAN STEW
Modified from a Family Circle recipe
- 2 1/2 lbs. pork spare ribs or (bone in) pork short ribs
- 3 oz. diced cured chorizo, casing removed or Mexican chorizo, cook though and drained.
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 large jalapeno, diced (remove seeds if desired)
- 1 lbs. spinach, large stems discarded, roughly chopped
- 2-3 cups unsalted chicken stock (if available used 2 cups chicken stock and one cup green chili juice - the juice you get after peeling green chili) or use the juice of black beans
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 2 cans (15.5 oz.) black beans, drained and rinsed (reserve juice if adding to stew)
- 1 Tbs. white vinegar
- Garnish: Orange segments
- Serve with white or brown rice
Adapted from familycircle.com
1. Place ribs, chorizo, onions, garlic and jalapeno in bottom of slow cooker. Place spinach on top, pressing down firmly. Whisk stock, salt, pepper,, than pour on top. Cover and cook on HIGH for 5 hours or LOW for 7 hours.
2. Remove ribs to a cutting board and shred; discard bones. Stir beans and vinegar into liquid. Stir meat back into slow cooker. You can add more liquid if you desire. Serve over rice. Garnish with orange segments if desired.