Geoffrey's Oven-Roasted Tomato Sauce
- Three 32-ounce cans whole peeled tomatoes
- 6 cloves garlic, smashed
- 4 sprigs fresh oregano
- 4 sprigs fresh rosemary
- Two 2-inch Pecorino-Romano rinds, plus grated Pecorino-Romano, for serving
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus additional for drizzling
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- One 16-ounce box pasta, such as spaghetti
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 60mins
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
Strain liquid from tomatoes and reserve for another use (works great for Bloody Marys or adding to tomato or minestrone soup).
Divide the tomatoes between 2 sheet trays and spread into an even layer. Add 3 smashed garlic cloves, 2 sprigs oregano, 2 sprigs rosemary and 1 Pecorino rind to each tray. Drizzle half the olive oil over each tray. Sprinkle half the red pepper flakes over each tray and season with salt and pepper. Roast, rotating sheet trays halfway through, until the tomatoes are just beginning to char on the bottom, about 25 minutes.
Add the tomatoes to a large saucepan and crush with a potato masher until you reach desired consistency. Bring to a simmer and season with salt and pepper, and drizzle with more olive oil.
Cook the pasta 2 minutes less than indicated on the box instructions. Transfer cooked pasta to sauce in saucepan, toss and cook for an additional 2 minutes. Finish with butter and grated Pecorino.
You'll also love
- Roasted Tomato-Cheddar Soup 0/5 (0 Votes)