Pork and Lemon 'Polpettine' Meatballs
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 1/4 cups fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 pound ground pork
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup parsley leaves, chopped
- 6-8 springs thyme, leaves removed
- 3 tablespoons grated good-quality Parmesan
- 10 anchovy fillets, minced
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup chicken stock
- 1 pound pasta, cooked in salted boiling water until al dente
Adapted from seriouseats.com
1. Sprinkle flour on large baking sheet. Combine breadcrumbs, pork, lemon zest and juice, parsley leaves, thyme, Parmesan, and anchovy filets in large bowl. Add good pinch salt and pepper and mix ingredients thoroughly by hand. Shape into 18-20 balls, about heaped tablespoon each, and put on floured baking sheet.
2. Heat olive oil and butter over medium heat until butter melts and foam subsides, then roll enough meatballs that will fit comfortably in skillet in light coating of flour. Cook until golden all over, in batches if necessary, 10-12 minutes total. Avoid moving unless necessary to promote caramelization.
3. Pour off most of fat from skillet and add chicken stock. Bring to a boil and reduce for 2-3 minutes. Serve with pasta and juices from pan.