Pan-Seared Steak With Mushroom-Merlot Sauce
- 2 beef rib-eye steaks - (10 oz ea)
- Salt to taste
- 2 teaspoons coarsely-ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter
- 6 ounces fresh shiitake mushrooms stemmed, and cut into 1/2" pieces
- 1 shallot thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup Merlot
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
Sprinkle steaks on both sides with salt and 2 teaspoons pepper; press to adhere. Heat oil in heavy medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add steaks; cook to desired doneness, about 3 minutes per side for medium. Transfer steaks to 2 plates (do not clean skillet).
Add 1 tablespoon butter to pan. Add mushrooms and shallot; sauté 2 minutes. Add wine and thyme and boil until wine is reduced by half, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Whisk in 2 tablespoons butter, 1 tablespoon at a time. Season sauce with salt and pepper. Pour over steaks.
This recipe yields 2 servings (can be doubled).