Shrimp Scampi With Garlic, Red Pepper Flakes, and Herbs
This dish can be served with pasta. To do so, cook linguine or other long noodle until al dente, then toss in the pan with shrimp and sauce, adding a little pasta cooking water to bind it all together.
- 1 pound large shrimp, peeled, split down the back, and veins removed
- Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 4 teaspoons minced garlic (about 4 medium cloves)
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup dry vermouth
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into tablespoon-size pieces
- 3 teaspoons fresh juice and 1 teaspoon grated zest from 1 lemon
- 2 teaspoons minced parsley, tarragon, and chives
In a large bowl, toss together shrimp with 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt and baking soda until evenly coated. Let stand for at least 10 minutes and up to 1 hour.
In a large skillet, heat 3 tablespoons olive oil over high heat until shimmering. Add half the shrimp in an even layer and cook, stirring and turning shrimp occasionally, until pink and barely cooked through and just starting to turn lightly golden in spots, about 2 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, flexible slotted offset spatula, or tongs, transfer shrimp to a plate. Add 1 more tablespoon olive oil to skillet and reheat until shimmering, and repeat with remaining shrimp.
Add remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil to skillet along with garlic and red pepper flakes and cook, stirring, until garlic is just starting to turn golden, about 1 minute.
Add vermouth and boil, stirring and scraping up any browned bits, until raw alcohol smell is mostly gone and vermouth has reduced by about half, about 3 minutes.
Add butter and cook, stirring and swirling the pan rapidly as butter melts to create a silky, emulsified sauce. Remove from heat, add lemon juice, and season with salt. Return to medium heat and bring to a simmer, stirring constantly. (If sauce breaks, whisk in a teaspoon or two of water until the sauce emulsifies again.)
Return shrimp to skillet, add herbs and lemon zest and toss until shrimp are coated in sauce and warmed through. Serve immediately.
You'll also love
- Creamed Garden Potatoes and Peas 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Banana Bread 0/5 (0 Votes)
- White bean pesto pasta with... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Broccoli and Corn Scallop 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Crispy Lime Chips with Crab 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Shrimp Martini with Wasabi 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Garlic, sauce 0/5 (0 Votes)
- SHRIMP FRA DIAVOLO 0/5 (0 Votes)