Okra Caponata Toasts
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 garlic clove minced
- Generous pinch dried crushed red pepper
- 6 ounces okra trimmed, and cut into 1/3" rounds
- 6 tablespoons water
- 1/4 cup diced canned tomatoes in juice
- 2 1/2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons drained capers
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 12 baguette slices toasted
Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and bell pepper and sauté until tender, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and crushed red pepper; stir 1 minute. Add okra, 6 tablespoons water and tomatoes with juices. Bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until okra is tender, stirring occasionally, about 6 minutes. Uncover and simmer until most of liquid evaporates and mixture thickens slightly, about 2 minutes. Stir in vinegar and capers. Season with salt and pepper. Cool to room temperature. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill.)
Spoon about 2 tablespoons caponata onto each baguette slice and serve.
This recipe yields 12 toasts.
Per serving (2 toasts): calories, 108; total fat, 2 g; saturated fat, 0.5 g; cholesterol, 0.