Caramel Apple Bars
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 3/4 cups Gold Medal™ all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 1/2 cups coarsely chopped peeled tart apples (3 medium)
- 3 tablespoons Gold Medal™ all-purpose flour
- 1 bag (14 ounces) caramels
Adapted from bettycrocker.com
Heat oven to 400ºF. Mix brown sugar, butter and shortening in large bowl. Stir in 1 3/4 cups flour, the oats, salt and baking soda.
Reserve 2 cups oat mixture; press remaining oat mixture in ungreased rectangular pan, 13x9x2 inches.
Toss apples and 3 tablespoons flour; spread over mixture in pan.
Heat caramels over low heat, stirring occasionally, until melted; pour evenly over apples.
Sprinkle with reserved oat mixture; press lightly.
Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until topping is golden brown and apples are tender.
For 36 bars, cut into 6 rows by 6 rows while warm.
Store covered in refrigerator.