Strawberry Margarita Ice Cream Cake
Fresh strawberries and a hint of orange liqueur give this extravagant ice cream cake a sophisticated edge.
- 1 frozen pound cake (298g)
- 6 cups strawberries, hulled (2 generous pint baskets) (1.5L)
- 1/3 cup Grand Marnier (75mL)
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice (50mL)
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar (75mL)
- 4 cups premium strawberry ice cream, softened slightly (1L)
- Whipped cream, optional
Preparation time 35mins
Cooking time 515mins
Slightly defrost pound cake. Trim dark crusts from top and sides of cake, then cut into 24 slices, each 1/4-inch (5-mm) thick.
Quarter and slice 2 cups (500mL) of the berries. Place in bowl with half of the Grand Marnier and half of the lime juice. Set aside.
Purée remaining berries, Grand Marnier, lime juice and sugar in a food processor. Pour into a bowl. Line a 9 x 5-inch (2-L) loaf pan with plastic wrap, letting wrap hang generously over sides of pan.
Spread scant 1/4 cup (50mL) of strawberry purée on bottom of pan. Layer with 8 slices of cake, arranging them lengthwise with slightly overlapping edges. Spread cake with scant 1/4 cup (50mL) of strawberry purée, then top with half of the ice cream and another scant 1/4 cup (50mL) of strawberry purée. Repeat layers of cake, strawberry purée, ice cream and strawberry purée. Arrange remaining cake slices on top and spread with1/4 cup (50mL) strawberry purée. Fold plastic wrap over top, pressing gently down on cake. Freeze for eight hours or overnight.
Stir remaining purée into sliced strawberries. Cover and refrigerate.
To serve, place cake in refrigerator for 30 minutes to soften slightly. Lift out of pan and remove plastic wrap. Cut into slices and arrange on serving plates. Top with a generous spoonful of strawberry mixture and a dollop of whipped cream, if desired.
You'll also love
- PB2 Frozen PB Cups 4.1/5 (113 Votes)
- Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Herb-Roasted Potatoes 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Lemon Pasta Envelopes with Cream... 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Chocolate-Raspberry Fondue 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Strawberry Mango Jicama Salad 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Grilled Chicken Sandwich with... 2.5/5 (2 Votes)
- Graham Cracker Crust √ ***... 4/5 (1 Votes)