French Lentil Soup With Sausage
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots finely chopped
- 1 celery rib finely chopped
- 1 1/4 cups lentils (preferably French green)
- 6 cups water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 4 ounces smoked sausage (like kielbasa)
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar or to taste
Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a 4-quart heavy pot over moderately-high heat until hot but not smoking, then cook onion, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, about 6 minutes. Add carrots and celery and cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add lentils, water, salt, and pepper and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to moderate and cook, covered, until lentils are tender, about 30 minutes.
While lentils are cooking, heat remaining tablespoon oil in a 10-inch nonstick skillet over high heat until hot but not smoking, then brown sausage on all sides, about 5 minutes. Cool sausage slightly on a cutting board, then cut into 1/2-inch-thick pieces. Add sausage to soup and stir in vinegar.
This recipe yields 6 servings.
You'll also love
- Fish Tacos 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Endive Spears Stuffed With Herbed... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Eggplant Timballo With Cavatelli 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Chile-Cumin Shredded Beef Flautas 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Cheesy Deep-Dish Sausage And... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Minted Sugar Snap Peas 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Sugar Snap Pea, Radish, And... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Smoked Sausage Jambalaya 0/5 (0 Votes)