Lentil Soup With Smoked Ham
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups diced smoked ham
- 2 teaspoons dried savory
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 3 cups canned low-salt chicken broth or more if needed
- 1 cup brown lentils rinsed
- 1 can diced tomatoes with roasted garlic (14 1/2 oz)
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
Heat oil in heavy large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add ham, savory and mustard and stir until ham begins to brown, about 2 minutes. Add 3 cups broth and lentils and bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium, cover and simmer until lentils are tender, about 20 minutes.
Add tomatoes with juices; simmer uncovered 2 minutes. Add more broth by 1/4 cupfuls to thin soup, if desired. Season with salt and pepper.
This recipe yields 2 servings (can be doubled).