Apple Walnut Coffee Cake
Guests and family will never guess that this decadent indulgence contains much less butter and sugar than a typical coffee cake.
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 1/4 cups whole-wheat pastry flour (divided)
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter (cold)
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 1 cup maple sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon low-fat buttermilk (1 percent)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups Granny Smith apples (peeled and diced )
- 1/2 cup walnuts (chopped and toasted)
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 65mins
Preheat oven to 350˚F. Line a 9-inch springform pan with parchment paper. Butter pan sides and top of parchment.
In a medium bowl, whisk together brown sugar, cinnamon, and ¼ cup flour. Cut in ¼ cup cold butter until mixture becomes crumbly and resembles a streusel topping. Refrigerate until ready to use.
In a large bowl, use a mixer to cream together ½ cup room-temperature butter and maple sugar until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing until fully incorporated. Beat in buttermilk and vanilla. Sift remaining 2 cups flour, baking soda, and salt into egg-butter mixture. Mix until just combined.
Fold in apples and walnuts. Pour batter into prepared pan and sprinkle with streusel topping. Bake for 50 to 55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool before releasing from pan.
You'll also love
- Banana Split Cake***** 4.4/5 (41 Votes)
- Frozen Blueberry Cheesecake Ice... 4.3/5 (10 Votes)
- Sweet Potato-Apple Latkes 4/5 (12 Votes)
- Turkey Brine 4.3/5 (10 Votes)
- Apple Sweet Potato Hash 4.3/5 (10 Votes)
- Outback (copycat) Bleu Cheese... 3.8/5 (89 Votes)
- Spicy Rice & Corn Casserole 4.1/5 (11 Votes)
- Jell-O Cookies 4.5/5 (37 Votes)