Rich, Silky Custard Pie : Cooks Illustrated 5/1999
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 large eggs
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon table salt
- 1 prebaked 9-inch pie shell
1. Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat oven to 375 degrees. Heat milk and cream in medium saucepan over medium-low heat until steaming, about 6 minutes. Meanwhile, whisk together eggs, sugar, cornstarch, vanilla, nutmeg, and salt in medium bowl.
2. Heat prebaked pie shell in oven until hot, about 5 minutes. Meanwhile, whisk steaming milk and cream into egg and cornstarch mixture in slow, steady stream. Return egg and milk mixture to saucepan and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly with wooden spoon, scraping bottom of pan, until custard begins to thicken and forms a ridge on tip of spoon when bottom of pan is scraped and spoon is lifted, 6 to 8 minutes. (If using thermometer, stir occasionally until custard reaches 160, then constantly.) Leaving pie plate on oven rack, pour custard into hot pie shell. Bake until custard has set around edges but jiggles slightly in the center when shaken, 12 to 15 minutes. Cool to room temperature, 2 hours. cut into wedges and serve.