Creamy, beefy gnocchi with a hint of spiciness from the Ro-Tel tomatoes. This Cheeseburger Gnocchi is a quick and easy weeknight dinner.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 (16 ounce) package potato gnocchi
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder, optional
- 2 cups diced onion, about 1 whole onion
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (10 ounce) can Ro-Tel Diced Tomatoes and Green Chiles
- 1 cup beef broth, or water
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced scallions
Adapted from kevinandamanda.com
Melt butter in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add gnocchi in a single layer and cook on one side for 2-3 minutes until browned and toasted. Shake the pan to toss the gnocchi and continue cooking for another 2-3 minutes, tossing occasionally, until both sides are toasted. Remove gnocchi to a plate and set aside.
Turn the heat to high and return skillet to stove. When the pan is very hot and smoking, add the beef and season with salt, pepper, cumin, paprika, and mustard powder if desired. Add the onion and garlic, and cook, stirring occasionally, until beef is browned and onions are golden. Drain if necessary.
Add the tomatoes, broth, and gnocchi back into the skillet. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil, then cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer for 5 minutes until the gnocchi is tender and liquid is mostly absorbed.
Off heat, then add the cream and ½ cup cheese and stir to combine. Top with remaining cheese and scallions.
Place the skillet under the broiler in the oven until cheese is browned and bubbly, about 3 minutes. Serve and enjoy!! :)