Grilled Vegetable Hero
- 2 large zucchini sliced lengthwise
- 1 large red bell pepper quartered
- lengthwise, and seeded
- 1 large firm tomato cut horizontally
- into 4 slices
- 6 tablespoons bottled Italian salad dressing
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil plus
- 8 large basil leaves whole
- 2 Italian sandwich rolls with seeds split lengthwise
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 4 thin slices Provolone cheese
Prepare barbecue (medium-high heat). Arrange zucchini, bell pepper and tomato on rimmed baking sheet. Whisk dressing and chopped basil in medium bowl to blend. Brush cut side of each roll with 1/2 tablespoon dressing mixture. Brush vegetables with remaining dressing mixture and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Grill cut side of rolls until toasted, about 1 minute. Place rolls, cut-side up, on plates. Grill vegetables until tender and lightly charred, turning and brushing occasionally with any dressing mixture left on baking sheet, about 10 minutes.
Arrange warm vegetables on roll bottoms. Cover each with 2 slices cheese, 4 whole basil leaves and top of roll.
This recipe yields 2 servings; can be doubled.
This sandwich goes well with macaroni salad and sweet-potato chips. Scoop strawberry ice cream into waffle cones afterward.