Wedge Salad with Sunflower Tahini and Ranch Dressing
Chef Courtney McBroom makes her delicious iceberg wedge salad with two dressings: a spicy ranch and a sunflower seed tahini.
- 1/2 cup Japanese Kewpie mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely chopped dill
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely chopped thyme
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely chopped marjoram
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced shallot
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Asian fish sauce
- Kosher salt
- sunflower tahini
- 1/2 cup salted roasted sunflower seeds
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- Kosher salt
- 1 large head of iceberg lettuce, quartered through the core and cut crosswise into 2-inch wedges
- 1/2 English cucumber, thinly sliced
- 3 1/2 ounces enoki mushrooms, trimmed
- Salted roasted sunflower seeds and chile oil, for garnish
Adapted from foodandwine.com
Make the dressing In a bowl, whisk together the first 10 ingredients; season with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate the dressing until well chilled, about 1 hour.
Make the tahini In a blender, combine the sunflower seeds and 1/4 cup of water and puree until nearly smooth. With the machine on, gradually add the lemon juice and grapeseed oil until the tahini is smooth. Scrape into a bowl and season with salt.
Make the salad Arrange the iceberg wedges on a serving platter. Dollop 1/2 teaspoon of the tahini onto each wedge and top with a cucumber slice and a small amount of enoki; secure the toppings with toothpicks. Drizzle some of the ranch dressing on the wedges and garnish with sunflower seeds and chile oil. Serve right away, with additional dressing and tahini.