- 1/4 pound sliced bacon
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 4 ears corn kernels cut off, and cobs discarded
- 1 large fresh jalapeño chile seeded, and finely chopped
- 1 package frozen baby lima beans - (10 oz) thawed
- 1/2 pound okra cut 1/3"-thk slices
- 3/4 pound cherry tomatoes - (1 pint) halved
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
Cook bacon in a large skillet over moderate heat until crisp. Drain on paper towels, leaving fat in skillet.
Add onion to skillet and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until softened. Add garlic and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Stir in corn, jalapeño, lima beans, okra, and tomatoes and cook, stirring, until vegetables are tender, about 7 minutes.
Stir in vinegar, basil, salt, and pepper, and adjust seasonings, to taste. Serve succotash with bacon crumbled over the top.
This recipe yields 8 servings.