- 2 pounds ripe plum tomatoes washed, cored, and split lengthwise
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 fresh rosemary sprig cut in half
- 2 sage leaves - (to 3)
- 3 medium garlic cloves split
Place the tomatoes cut side up on a baking sheet. Sprinkle with the salt and let sit for 1 hour. Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Roast the tomatoes for 5 to 6 hours. The tomatoes are done when they are dried but still slightly plump, they should definitely not be leathery, nor as dry as commercial sun-dried tomatoes.
Allow the tomatoes to cool to room temperature, then transfer them to a jar or bowl. Stir in the olive oil, herbs, and garlic, cover tightly and refrigerate. The tomatoes will improve if marinated 2 to 3 days before using. They will keep for up to 2 weeks stored in the refrigerator.
This recipe yields ?? servings.