Apple, Sausage, and Cheddar Torte
Christmas morning breakfast. Can be set up the night before.
- 1 readymade Deep Dish Pie Crust
- 1 c NC apples (peeled and sliced, Granny Smith were used in the winning recipe)
- 1 ⁄2 c onion (chopped )
- 1 T sugar
- 1 ⁄4 t cinnamon
- 2 T butter
- 3 ⁄4 lb sweet Italian or breakfast sausage (bulk, or removed from casings)
- 2 c shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 c ricotta cheese
- 4 Eggs
Adapted from gottobenc.com
Note: You can use any flavorful NC apple such and Pink Lady, Granny Smith, or Honeycrisp.
Pre-heat the oven to 425°F. If using a rolled crust, place pie crust in 9-inch pie pan and bake 7 to 9 minutes or until light golden brown or pre-bake a ready-made crust. Remove from oven and let cool. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F.
Melt butter in a large skillet on medium heat. Add the apples, onions, sugar, and cinnamon and sauté until tender, 5 minutes. Transfer mixture to a separate bowl. Increase the heat to medium high and add the sausage. Sauté until browned, about 7-10 minutes, making sure to break the meat up as it is cooking. Remove from heat and drain excess grease onto a paper towel lined dish.
In medium sized bowl, mix together the ricotta cheese, cheddar cheese and eggs.
Place sausage on bottom of pre-baked pie crust. Add the cooked apple onion mixture over the sausage. Pour the cheese egg mixture over the apple mixture and spread it so it evenly covers the pie.
Bake at 350°F for 35 to 40 minutes, until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Lisa’s Notes: This first place winning recipe is from Lisa Raschke. She won the NC Apple Growers Association’s Apple Recipe contest with this savory breakfast creation.
You'll also love
- Grilled five-spice chicken thighs 4.4/5 (5 Votes)
- Baked Chicken Breasts with... 4.4/5 (5 Votes)
- Carrot Slaw 4.4/5 (5 Votes)
- Pumpkin Pecan Scones with Maple... 4.4/5 (5 Votes)
- Nutella-Filled Chocolate Chip... 4.4/5 (5 Votes)
- Peach Bars With Oats And Walnuts 4.4/5 (5 Votes)
- Blackberry Apple Jelly 4.4/5 (5 Votes)
- Bratwurst in Rye Pastry With... 4.4/5 (5 Votes)