I made this several times to use up the multitude of eggplant I received in my weekly produce box. This is the first eggplant recipe I have found that my family actually likes! We make the modifications as listed below. We have eaten this on tortilla wraps (not recommended, very messy) and on napa cabbage wraps (excellent) with cheese, sour cream and guacamole. Very tasty! We also tore the napa cabbage up into pieces, like a salad, and put the eggplant Mexicana on top. That was the easiest way to eat it. You could also put it on spaghetti squash, rice or pasta. I doubled it both times. It is great leftover.
- 1 1 1/2 lb eggplant, peeled and cut into 1/2 " cubes (I did not peel the eggplant and it was fine!)
- 1 1 ounce) can 1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes
- 2 2 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1 1 ⁄4 cup onion, minced
- 1 1 1 ⁄4 teaspoon chili powder, more if desired
- 1 1 1 dash pepper
- Can Can add salsa or replace some of the tomatoes with salsa (I did this the first time, but didn't have salsa the second time. Good both ways.)
Adapted from Food.com
Combine all ingredients in a skillet.
simmer gently 15- 20 minutes or until eggplant is tender.
Can be done ahead and reheated in microwave.