King Ranch Chicken Soup
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 (10-oz.) cans diced tomatoes and green chiles
- 1 (10 3/4-oz.) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (10 3/4-oz.) can cream of chicken soup
- 5 cups chicken broth $
- 1 (1 1/2- to 2 1/2-lb.) whole deli-roasted chicken, skin removed and meat shredded
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 8 (6-inch) fajita-size corn tortillas, cut into 1/2-inch strips and halved
- Kosher salt
- Garnish: shredded cheese
Adapted from myrecipes.com
1. Melt butter in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onions and peppers, and sauté 6 to 7 minutes or until tender. Add garlic, and sauté 1 minute. Stir in diced tomatoes, cream of mushroom soup, and cream of chicken soup; combine thoroughly. Stir in broth and next 4 ingredients.
2. Increase heat to medium-high, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes. Stir in tortilla strips, and simmer 2 more minutes. Add salt to taste.
PACK IN SOME GOOD PROTEIN Roasted pork or deli-roasted chicken will stand up to the simmer and add savory depth.