- • 3 cups, good quality, semi sweet chocolate chips (if dark chocolate is preferred, use 1 cup dark chocolate chips and 2 cups semi-sweet. Quality of the chocolate is key)
- • 1 (14oz) can sweetened condensed milk
- • 1/4 cup unsalted butter, diced into pieces
- • 1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans, optional (can also add dried fruit like cranberries)
- • pinch of salt
- • ¼ tsp vanilla
1. Line a 9x9 inch pan with foil or parchment for easier cleanup; set aside.
2. To a large, microwave-safe bowl, add the chocolate chips, sweetened condensed milk, butter. Heat on high power to melt; 2 min then stir and continue in 30 second intervals until mixture can be stirred smooth.
3. Add salt, vanilla and nuts, if using
4. Pour into prepared pan, smoothing the top lightly with a spatula as necessary. Place on the counter to cool and set up fully, about 4 hours. If you are in a hurry, you can place the pan in the fridge to expedite it. When set, turn out onto cutting board and cut into squares. Fudge will keep airtight at room temp for up to 1 month or in the fridge for at least 3 months. It is stable at room temp but if you prefer it firmer or live in a warmer climate, it is best to store in the fridge.