Antipasto Pasta Salad
- 1/2 pound rotini or fusilli (corkscrew-shaped pastas)
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/2 tablespoon Dijon-style mustard
- 3 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tablespoon water
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 ounce sun-dried tomatoes not
- packed in oil - (1/4 cup) soaked in hot water
- for 5 minutes and drained well
- 1/4 pound smoked mozzarella cut 1/2" cubes
- 8 ounces canned garbanzos drained, rinsed
- 1 1/4 ounces sliced hard salami cut julienne strips
- 5 bottled small pepperoncini - (to 10) (pickled Tuscan peppers)
- 1/4 teaspoon dried hot red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup minced fresh flat-leafed parsley leaves - (loosely packed)
In a kettle of boiling salted water cook the rotini until it is tender and drain. Refresh the pasta under cold water and drain well.
In a blender blend the garlic, the mustard, the vinegars, the water, the oil, and salt, to taste, until the dressing is emulsified.
In a very large bowl toss the pasta well with the dressing and stir in the sun-dried tomatoes, the mozzarella, the garbanzos, the salami, the Tuscan peppers, the red pepper flakes, and the parsley.
Chill the salad, covered, for 1 hour. The salad may be made 2 days in advance and kept covered and chilled.
This recipe yields 4 to 5 servings.