Banana Hot Chocolate
Bananas are the base of this almost healthy Banana Hot Chocolate recipe, so you can almost escape any sugar-coated guilt. If you're feeling extra devilish, add some of your favorite liquor or even porter beer for a unique, but tasty twist on the typical hot chocolate.
- 3 very ripe bananas
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 4 cloves
- 5 cardamom pods
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 30mins
Adapted from experience.usatoday.com
Cut peeled bananas into small pieces and place them in a heavy-bottomed pot with the milk, half-and-half, cloves, cardamom pods, nutmeg, and cinnamon stick. While stirring gently, bring the contents to a very low simmer. Simmer for 10 minutes, making sure to stir the mixture gently every few minutes to ensure the milk does not scorch.
Remove pot from heat and strain the contents through a fine-mesh strainer. Use a ladle or a spoon to push as much banana as possible through the strainer.
Pour the strained mixture back into the pot. Place over very low heat and bring to a very low simmer. Add the chocolate chips and vanilla extract, and stir until the chocolate is dissolved.
Pour the hot chocolate into a mug and top with whipped cream or marshmallows.
BANANA HOT CHOCOLATE COCKTAIL:
Add 1-ounce of bourbon, cognac, coffee liqueur, or chocolate liqueur. Or for something different, add 2-ounces of room-temperature porter beer.
You'll also love
- Hot Corn Dip 4.5/5 (2 Votes)
- CARROT CAKE 4.5/5 (2 Votes)
- Pan-Fried Haloumi With Figs &... 4/5 (2 Votes)
- Peach, Basil and Tomato Salad with... 4/5 (2 Votes)
- Round Steak Diane 4/5 (2 Votes)
- Banana Split Fluff Salad 4/5 (2 Votes)
- Crazy Banana Cake 4.5/5 (2 Votes)
- Grilled Turkey, Apple & Cheddar... 4.5/5 (2 Votes)