Basic Brownies - CC
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 8 pieces
- 1 cup (7 ounces) sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup (3 1/3 ounces) all-purpose flour
1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees. Make foil sling for 8-inch square baking pan by folding 2 long sheets of aluminum foil so each is 8 inches wide. Lay sheets of foil in pan perpendicular to each other, with extra foil hanging over edges of pan. Push foil into corners and up sides of pan, smoothing foil flush to pan. Grease foil.
2. Combine chocolate and butter in bowl and microwave at 50 percent power, stirring occasionally, until melted, 2 to 4 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes.
3. Whisk sugar, eggs, vanilla, baking powder, and salt together in medium bowl until combined, about 15 seconds. Whisk in chocolate mixture until smooth. Stir in flour until no streaks remain. Transfer batter to prepared pan and distribute evenly.
4. Bake until toothpick inserted halfway between edge and center of pan comes out clean, 22 to 27 minutes, rotating pan halfway through baking. Let brownies cool completely on wire rack, about 2 hours. Using foil sling, lift brownies from pan to cutting board. Slide foil out from under brownies and cut brownies into 2-inch squares. (Brownies can be stored for several days.)