Sweet-And-Sour Thai Fish Soup
- 1 cup uncooked long-grain rice
- 4 shallots peeled, and coarsely chopped
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro plus
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon tamarind paste softened with
- 2 tablespoons water (use 1 tbspn lime juice if tamarind paste is not available)
- 1 anchovy fillet
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 3 cups clam juice
- 1 pound skinned white fish fillets - (to 2) cut 1" pieces (cod, halibut, or snapper)
- 2 cups shredded iceberg lettuce
- 6 radishes thinly sliced
- 1 cup snow peas
- 2 scallions sliced
- 1/2 small cucumber peeled, trimmed, seeded, and cut thin julienne strips
In a large pot of salted, boiling water, cook rice until tender. Drain, set aside, and keep warm.
In a food processor or blender, combine shallots, garlic, chopped cilantro, ginger, tamarind paste, anchovy, and brown sugar and puree until smooth.
In a soup pot, combine puree, cayenne, fish sauce, and clam juice and bring to a boil. Add fish and let simmer for 5 minutes. Add rice and simmer for 2 minutes. Remove soup from the heat and stir in lettuce, radishes, and snow peas.
Ladle soup into bowls and serve sprinkled with scallions, cilantro leaves, and cucumber.
This recipe yields 4 servings.