Shrimp Fried Rice
- COOKED RICE:
- 2 tablespoons chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons dry white vermouth (or white wine)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped scallions
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 3/4 pound cooked peeled medium shrimp chopped
- 4 cups Cooked Long-Grain White Rice (listed below)
- 2 large eggs beaten lightly
- 1 package defrosted frozen peas
- 1 1/3 cups long-grain white rice
- 1 tablespoon butter - (to 2)
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
In a small bowl, stir together broth, vermouth, soy sauce, and sesame oil.
In a large skillet heat vegetable oil over moderately-high heat until very hot. Add scallions, gingerroot, and shrimp, cook for 1 minute, and transfer to a platter. Add rice and cook until crispy. Add everything back to the pan, add the eggs, and cook until scrambled. Add the peas and cook, stirring for 2 to 3 minutes or until crispy. Add broth mixture and stir to mix well.
Cooked Rice: Bring a large pot of water to a boil. When it comes to a boil, add salt and then rice. Stir and then boil for 15 minutes or until just cooked. Drain, toss with butter, season with salt and pepper, to taste, and serve. (Makes 4 cups cooked rice)
This recipe yields 4 servings.