Pasta a la Norma
A favorite Sicilian dish
- olive oil
- 1 sm onion, chpd
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lg eggplant, cut into 1/4" slices and quartered
- 1 - 28 oz can Italian plum tomatoes, crushed with your hands
- 2 springs fresh basil, plus leaves for garnish
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 lb pasta, medium sturdy shape
- 1/2 lb ricotta salata, coarsely grated
- flat leaf parsley, chpd
- red pepper flakes, to taste
Fry eggplant in plenty of olive oil until lightly browned. Drain on paper towels and salt and pepper, set aside. Saute onion and garlic in pan until soft but not browned. Add the tomatoes, basil, thyme and red pepper - simmer about 15 minutes. Add the eggplant and simmer another 10-15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Cook the pasta to al dente. Drain well and pour into eggplant mixture along with most of the ricotta salata, reserve some for topping. Heat through.
Garnish with basil, parsley and remaining ricotta salata. Drizzle with olive oil and serve.