Curried Basmati Rice And Apple Pilaf
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 cup basmati rice see * Note
- 1 Granny Smith or Golden Delicious apple peeled, cored, and chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tablespoon chopped peeled fresh ginger
- 1 1/4 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds toasted
* Note: Available at Indian markets and some supermarkets nationwide.
Heat oil in heavy medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until golden, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and stir 30 seconds. Stir in rice, apple, apricots, cinnamon stick, ginger, curry powder and salt. Add 2 cups water and bring to boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and cook until rice is tender and water is absorbed, about 18 minutes.
Remove from heat. Season to taste with pepper and additional salt, if desired. Transfer pilaf to bowl. Sprinkle with almonds and serve.
This recipe yields 4 servings.
Per serving: calories, 259; total fat, 5 g; saturated fat, 1 g; cholesterol, 0.