Rosemary-Orange Roast Turkey
From the Kitchen of…Khalil Hymore, Cooking Light Contributor
Khalil likes to give his bird a pretty finishing sheen by brushing on savory-sweet marmalade glaze.
If you don't like the slightly bitter flavor of marmalade, you can substitute currant jelly for tart, bright flavor.
- 1 (12-pound) fresh or frozen turkey, thawed
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 3 tablespoons grated orange rind
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup orange marmalade
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Remaining ingredient:
- 2 cups water
Adapted from myrecipes.com
1. To prepare turkey, remove giblets and neck; reserve for another use. Place turkey on a broiler rack on a broiler pan. Starting at neck cavity, loosen skin from breast and drumsticks by inserting fingers, gently pushing between skin and meat. Combine 3 tablespoons rosemary, rind, salt, and 2 teaspoons pepper in a small bowl. Rub rosemary mixture under loosened skin. Tie ends of legs with kitchen string. Lift wing tips up and over back; tuck under turkey. Loosely cover, and refrigerate 8 hours or up to 12 hours.
2. To prepare glaze, combine marmalade, juice, 1 teaspoon rosemary, vinegar, butter, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 4 minutes or until slightly thickened. Set aside 1/4 cup.
3. Preheat oven to 425°.
4. Remove turkey from refrigerator, and pat dry with a paper towel; let stand at room temperature 1 hour. Bake at 425° for 30 minutes or just until beginning to brown. Rotate turkey; add 2 cups water to bottom of pan.
5. Reduce oven temperature to 375°. Cook turkey an additional 60 minutes. Remove turkey from oven; baste with reserved 1/4 cup orange mixture. Bake an additional 15 minutes or until thermometer inserted into thickest part of thigh registers 165°. Remove turkey from oven. Cover loosely with foil; let stand 30 to 60 minutes. Carve turkey; drizzle with remaining 1/4 cup orange marmalade mixture.
You'll also love
- Roasted Vegetable Salad with Apple... 4.6/5 (8 Votes)
- Gluten-Free Yellow Cupcakes w/... 4.6/5 (8 Votes)
- Korean Steamed Pork Buns 4.6/5 (8 Votes)
- Beef & Curry Pie 4.6/5 (10 Votes)
- Bacon Ranch Turkey Wrap 4.6/5 (8 Votes)
- Key Lime Cheesecake Pancakes 4.6/5 (10 Votes)
- Quick Turkey Chili 4.6/5 (8 Votes)
- Grilled Lobster Tails with... 4.6/5 (8 Votes)