Old Fashioned Corn Muffins
Nothing beats the flavor of an old fashioned classic corn muffin. Easy to make and tastes great as a snack or side dish to a wonderful meal.
- 1 cup whole or low-fat milk, heated to 110°F
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter and cooled slightly
- 1 1/2 teaspoons rapid rise or instant yeast
- 1 large egg
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon salt
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 90mins
Warm oven: Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 200°F. When oven reaches 200°F, turn it off. Grease pan for the muffins.
Mix batter: Whisk milk, butter, and yeast in large liquid measuring cup until yeast dissolves, then whisk in egg.
With mixer, mix 1/2 cup flour, cornmeal, brown sugar, and salt until combined. With mixer on low, add milk mixture in a study stream and mix until dough comes together, about 1 minute. Gradually add remaining flour until incorporated. Increase speed to medium high and beat until batter is thick and elastic, about 3 minutes.
Let rise: Using greased 1/4 cup measure, transfer batter to muffin cups. Cover loosely with greased plastic wrap and place in turned-off oven until batter reaches rims of muffin cups, about 1 hour.
Bake muffins: Remove muffin tin from oven and heat oven to 375°F. Discard plastic and bake muffins until golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes. Cool in pan for about 10 minutes, then turn out onto wire rack.
You'll also love
- Avgolemeno (Greek Chicken, Lemon &... 4.5/5 (13 Votes)
- Macaroni and Cheese ( The Pioneer... 4.5/5 (13 Votes)
- Caramelized Banana Sandwich 4.5/5 (13 Votes)
- Pork Marsala 4.5/5 (13 Votes)
- Olive Garden Ravioli Di Portobello... 4/5 (71 Votes)
- Pumpkin Bread with Pumpkin... 4.2/5 (33 Votes)
- Classic Southern Caramel Cake 3.8/5 (95 Votes)
- Southwest Eggrolls 4.1/5 (38 Votes)