Cucumber And Avocado Soup With Tomato And Basil Salad
- 1 large English hothouse cucumber peeled, diced
- 2 1/2 cups low-fat (1%) buttermilk
- 1 avocado quartered, pitted, and peeled
- 4 tablespoons chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup chopped seeded tomato
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 4 tablespoons plain nonfat yogurt
Combine cucumber and buttermilk in blender. Chop 1/4 of avocado; set aside for salad. Cut remaining avocado into chunks. Add avocado to blender; then add 2 tablespoons red onion and 1 tablespoon basil. Blend until very smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Cover; refrigerate until chilled, about 1 hour.
Mix reserved avocado, remaining 2 tablespoons onion and 1 tablespoon basil, tomato and lime juice in small bowl. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover soup and tomato salad separately and refrigerate.) Ladle cucumber soup into 4 bowls. Dollop each with 1 tablespoon yogurt; top with tomato salad and serve.
This recipe yields 4 servings.
Per serving: calories, 145; total fat, 6 g; saturated fat, 2 g; cholesterol, 5 mg.