Chinese Style Steamed Fish
- 2 red snapper fillets - (6 oz ea)
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced peeled fresh ginger
- 2 small garlic cloves minced
- 4 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons oriental sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
Place small cake rack in large (12-inch-diameter) skillet; place 9-inch-diameter glass pie dish on rack. Put fish in dish; sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper. Sprinkle wine, ginger and garlic in dish around fish. Top fish with soy sauce, sesame oil and 1 tablespoon cilantro.
Pour enough water into skillet to reach depth of 1 inch. Bring water to boil. Cover skillet; steam fish until just opaque in center, about 10 minutes.
Transfer fish to plates; top with juices from dish and remaining 1 tablespoon cilantro.
This recipe yields 2 servings; can be doubled.