Spinach, Pear, And Frisee Salad With Curried Cashews
- HONEY SESAME VINAIGRETTE:
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons sesame seeds toasted
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- Kosher salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup vegetable or peanut oil
- CURRIED CASHEWS:
- 3/4 cup cashews - (abt 3 oz)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter melted
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon dark brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne or more, to taste
- 1/2 pound bacon sliced (abt twelve 1/4"-thick slices)
- 12 cups spinach leaves - (loosely packed) washed well, dried, stems trimmed
- 6 cups frisee - (loosely packed) stems trimmed, washed, dried, and torn bite-size pieces
- 2/3 cup thinly-sliced red onions
- 3 small pears halved, cored, and thinly sliced
- 6 bunches grapes - (small bunches)
Honey Sesame Vinaigrette: Whisk together the vinegar, mustard, honey, sesame seeds, garlic, and salt and pepper, to taste, in a bowl. Gradually whisk in the oil. Set aside.
Curried Cashews: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
On a baking sheet, toast the cashews until golden, 8 to 10 minutes. Meanwhile, combine the melted butter, rosemary, curry powder, brown sugar, salt, and cayenne in a bowl. Add the toasted cashews while they are still hot and toss with a rubber spatula so they are thoroughly coated with the spices and butter. Leave the oven on to cook the bacon.
Salad: Put the bacon on a baking sheet, place it in the oven, and cook until crisp, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove the bacon from the pan and cut the slices into 1-inch pieces. Keep the bacon warm.
Tear spinach into pieces if leaves are large. In a large bowl, combine the spinach, frisee, red onions, and sliced pears. Toss with enough vinaigrette to coat everything well.
Divide the salad among 6 plates. Garnish each salad with pieces of warm bacon and spiced cashews. Set a grape cluster on the side of each salad.
The bacon can be cooked ahead, stored in the refrigerator, and reheated. The cashews can be cooked early in the day and stored at room temperature. The vinaigrette can be stored refrigerated, tightly covered, for several days.
This recipe yields 6 servings.
You'll also love
- Spicy Garlic Potatoes And Zucchini 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Smashed Potatoes 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Shrimp Braised In Coconut Milk 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Roast Turkey With Apple-Cider Gravy 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Pears Stuffed With Roquefort And... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Pear Brandy Champagne Cocktail 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Chicken And Swiss Chard Enchilada... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Toasted Rice Soup With Spinach And... 0/5 (0 Votes)