- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/3 c. butter divided)
- 1/2 c. flour
- 8 oz. sliced mushrooms
- 3/4 c. Marsala wine
- 1/2 c. chicken stock or broth
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1/2 c. Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 c. shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2-3 green onions, sliced
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 40mins
1. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add 2 Tbs. butter.
2. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring frequently, until they begin to brown; remove them and set aside.
3. Slice chicken breasts in half lengthwise. Flatten each piece between 2 sheets of plastic wrap with a meat mallet to about 1/4" thickness. Dredge each flattened piece in the flour.
4. In the same pan the mushrooms were cooked in; add 1 Tbs. butter and heat over medium-high heat
5. Add 2 chicken breasts and brown well on both sides. Remove and set aside. Repeat the browning process 2 more times (using a Tbs. of butter with each shift.) You will have to do this in shifts so the chicken is not crowded in the pan and browns evenly. Don't drain the drippings, it will be needed for the Marsala sauce.
6. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Lightly grease a 13 x 9 baking pan. Add the chicken to the prepared baking pan. Sprinkle evenly with the mushrooms.
7. After all the chicken is browned, using the same pan with the collected drippings, add the wine, chicken stock, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 10 minutes. Pour the sauce evenly over the chicken.
8. Mix the cheeses and green onions and distribute over the top of the chicken.
9. Bake for 15-20 minutes until cheese is melted and just starting to brown.