Mom's Fried Chicken Gizzards
- 2 lbs chicken gizzards
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 6 cups water
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh ground pepper
- fresh ground pepper
2-3 hours prior to cooking. In a large bowl or dutch oven, place gizzards, water and 2 Tbls salt. Let soak. (This draws out that bloody/organ taste). Change salty water every 1/2 hour to hour, for 2-3 hours.
Drain gizzards. Place drained gizzards on paper toweling, and pat dry.
Salt and Pepper both sides of the gizzards.
In a large zippy bag, place flour and salt and pepper.
In your favorite chicken frying pan (I use Grandma's old cast-iron skillet), melt enough shortening to get 1/4" in the pan.
Place a handful of gizzards in flour baggie. Shake.
Remove gizzards from baggie. Shake off excess flour mix.
Gently place gizzards in the hot shortening. Cover with lid ajar. Cook for 5 mins on Medium-High heat, or until browned.
Turn gizzards, and cover for another 5 mins or until browned.
(Pleae note: Gizzards will fry better if cooked in batches. Place cooked gizzards in the oven on 'warm' or 200 degrees, between batches.).
You'll also love
- Round Steak Diane 4/5 (2 Votes)
- BBQ Roasted Whole Chicken with... 4/5 (2 Votes)
- Doctored Pickles 4/5 (2 Votes)
- New Orleans Barbecue Shrimp Dip 4/5 (2 Votes)
- Prosciutto-Provolone Stuffed... 3/5 (3 Votes)
- Crispy Baked Chicken Leg Quarters 4.3/5 (3 Votes)
- Chicken Rice-A-Roni Salad 4/5 (2 Votes)
- Southwest Chicken and Rice Bake 4.5/5 (2 Votes)